Sunday, January 21, 2007

Viruses: Digital or Biological = Up ALL Night!

    So, as I said in my website, my daughter M was sick between Christmas and New Years. She was sick enough, with a virus, that we had to take her to the emergency room for 12 hours for oxygen and monitoring. So for about a week, my wife and I didn't get more than six hours of sleep each night.
    We had a week reprieve while M got better and we tried to recover from the holiday and the virus. We had tons of toys to put away (thanks to over generous grandparents and friends who spoiled our kids) and we had to try to clean the house from about two weeks of being too tired to clean!
    Then, believe it or not, M got sick AGAIN! Late last week, she started with a runny nose. By early this past week she had a mild fever. By midweek she had a 104.5F fever! SO, another week without sleep! This leads to the most recent virus...this time a digital virus. M's fever broke two days ago. I thought, FINALLY, we can get some sleep... Silly me! I should just accept that I won't get 'enough' sleep until either I retire or die!
    Last night I decided to go searching on the internet for a very specific...ahhh...thing...that I couldn't afford to buy. So I was looking for it on sites that took a lot of clicks (of the mouse) to get to...because I was hoping to find a more 'affordable' place to get this thing... Then it happened. Pop-up...pop-up, pop-up...virus warning, virus warning! This has happened to me a few times before, so I know what to do. Disconnect the internet...check. Click OK to quarantines of everything that comes up...check...uhhh...check again... and they just kept coming! At this point desperation says REBOOT! After reboot, virus warning pops-up again. But not multiple times, just twice for two different viruses!! At this point I thought I had gotten ahead of this. It was about 1am and I was exhausted. I started a full virus scan of the system and went to bed.
    I woke up to find that virus scan had not completed, that over 200MB had been transferred over the internet during the night and about 5 Internet Explorer windows were open with...let's say... things I'm lucky my children did not see!!! Apparently when I rebooted I forgot that my wireless connection was still on. After virus scan and spybot I have removed 135 infected viruses, two trojans, a keylogger and a bunch of registry entries! There were a good deal of files that had been added to my computer from the time I went to bed (as I said about 1am) and when I found the computer in the morning...I deleted all of these. I think I finally got ahead of everything (I have been monitoring the internet activity most of the day and nothing suspicious has happened).
    There were two lucky things that make me less worried about this event than I was first thing this morning. 1. After looking at the internet activity I see that most of the bandwidth was take-up with files coming into my computer (very little going out). 2. All of the files that I think are 'sensitive' on my computer are encrypted using a freeware encryption program. :) Finally, I will be formatting my computer as soon as I can find a few extra hours...just in case!
    The moral of this story is
        1. Kids get sick and keep you awake.
        2. Computers get sick and keep you awake.
        3. Back-up your data regularly and ENCRYPT any files that are sensitive!
        4. If a website's name is too long to remember, has a bunch of numbers and letters in the name, and takes more than two dozen 'clicks' to find...you probably shouldn't be there!!!!!

1 comment:

Smokeshow said...

Whoa- welcome to Delsquabo's House of Viruses!